So I donated blood today. It was quite an ordeal. First they told me there was a 2-hour wait which I was fine with. Then they called my name early because they were asking all negative donors (I'm B Negative btw) to donate red blood cells instead which is a 30-45 minute process where they separate your plasma from your red cells so it can go directly to a patient within 24 hours. I was up for it. Why not, right? Well after donating, I left with a little soreness and lightheadedness. No worries! Even though I had a relatively good experience, I have a problem with blood donations. They always "plea" for more blood and go on and on about how there is a shortage, but all the while, they turn away several donors who are more than qualified to donate. Because of some stupid rule, any men who has had sexual contact with another man cannot donate. Funny thing though, it also says "since 1977." So if some guy slept with another guy in 1969, then it's okay? I'm confused. Anyway, I realize this is merely a safety precaution to protect blood recipients, but they test the blood, so wtf does it matter?! Heterosexual people are just as promiscuous as homosexual people, but are they told that their blood is no good? Hell no! If we held everyone to the same standard, then no one would be able to donate, and we would really be screwed. So what does a gay man do? Does he lie? Is that morally forgivable if he's doing it to save a life. This is an issue of equality. We take pride in our country having all men created equal, but that's a load of BS. We are not equal.
Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment